What makes a man?

What makes a man?
---Hamlin Garland

Do you fear the force of the wind 你可害怕寒風凜冽,

The slash of the rain? 你可畏懼大雨滂沱

Go face them and fight them, 去迎著風雨努力拚搏

Be savage again .還你原始本色

Go hungry and cold like the wolf 象狼一樣去經受饑寒

Go wade like the crane. 象鶴一般去跋涉河川

The palms of your hands will thicken, 你的手掌變得厚實粗壯

The skin of your cheeks will tan 你的臉龐曬得古銅發亮

You’ll grow ragged and weary and swarthy,你會變得衣衫襤褸,皮膚黝黑,疲憊不堪,

But you will walk like a man! 但你步履沉穩,是個堂堂男子漢!

※本文作者:Hamlin G…※